This Site Has Moved

I moved the blog some time ago to ModernForager.com Please join in the discussion over there!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Book Review: The Body Ecology Diet


I finished The Body Ecology Diet by Donna Gates about two weeks ago (and just now got around to writing a review). Overall, it is a high quality book. It tends to be a bit new-ageish in parts and I'm not sure all of the colon cleansing is necessary. But the key point that she drives home is the need for probiotics and fermented foods, which provide probiotics. Kefir, coconut kefir, and fermented vegetables, along with mineral-rich sea vegetables are cornerstones of The BED. My take is to ignore the blood typing part of the book, take what you want from the parts about colon cleansing, and pay attention when she talks about what to eat and when. I haven't experimented enough with eating fruit apart from other foods to know if it makes a difference, so I can't speak to that. Some of the recipes sound tasty and I can't wait to try making some kefir from coconut water. I just have to order the starter culture.