This Site Has Moved

I moved the blog some time ago to ModernForager.com Please join in the discussion over there!

Thursday, May 03, 2007

HFCS Is Everywhere!

Just a short rant/observation from today:
I stopped by the grocery today to pick up a few things for the Kentucky Derby party this weekend. Near the bakery (had to get bread for the wife's spinach dip) is the deli and lots of fresh-made foods. I spied some deviled eggs and out of curiosity, I took a look while waiting for the fella behind the counter. And what should appear in the ingredients list? You guessed it...High Fructose Corn Syrup! In deviled eggs! For pity's sake, is nothing sacred? You take a quite healthful food like an egg in all of its delicious goodness and you add sugar. Why?! I wish I had continued reading beyond that point to see if there were any yummy hydrogenated oils.

As far as I know, deviled eggs need only eggs, mayonnaise, perhaps mustard, salt, pepper, some other spices, and if you're using Kate Welch's recipe, bacon. No trans fats, no added oils, and for Pete's sake, no high fructose corn syrup. I await the day when I pick up a package of chicken breasts and see an ingredient list containing high fructose corn syrup.